1. Your birth process most likely will not go as you planned. It will also not be like any movie you've ever seen. I haven't written Breckin's birth story yet but there was no water breaking in the back of a cab. No one yelled at me to push and no hee hee who breaths going on.
2. Your nurses at the hospital might be mean or stupid or really great. It's a crap shoot. You can request a new nurse. I didn't know that while I was in the hospital. But you can! And you better believe next time I get the young stupid girl that keeps tripping over cords in the middle of the night I will be asking for someone new.
3. Once you have the baby a million different people nurses, lactation consultants, family and friends will give you advice. And it will all be different. Do what works for you. If people judge you then so be it.
4. When you get the baby home most likely you and your husband will be overwhelmed with visitors. Try to keep a schedule and space people out. The first few weeks are super busy and then visits die down. You will be lonely. So space it out!
5. You will be exhausted and unshowered. You will smell like breastmilk (seriously as i write this its dripping down my stomach) sweat and sometimes baby poop. Just go with it. If you can get in a shower do it. But don't feel bad if you can't.
6. There will be times with your newborn that they are crying and you cant figure out why. You will feel overwhelmed. It's okay to cry with them. I think they secretly like it.
7. Breastfeeding is not always easy for some it is. You will learn words like latch, thrush, cradle hold. There will be times it hurts and your nipples feel like they are going to fall off. If you can power through its worth it. But if you can't, it's okay. It's okay to feed your baby a bottle of breastmilk or formula. That doesn't make you a bad mom. Just like exclusively breastfeeding doesn't make you a good mom. Just do what works for you. The important thing is that your baby gets fed and you keep your sanity and nipples.
8. You will suddenly be part of the baby club. Other mom's will talk to you randomly. Mom's on your block that used to be bitchy will suddenly be super sweet and friendly. So bizarre but also kind of cool.
Here's where we get smushy folks:
8. Watching your baby with their grandparents is awesome. Seeing your parents love your child and make a fuss over them is a joy. Makes you wonder what they were like with you.
9. Seeing your spouse with your baby will make you fall more in love with them. There's nothing like watching your strong man coo and snuggle your little one.
10. Your baby will come out and you will feel love like you've never known. It will make you understand your parents a little more which is weird but also cool.
So those are some nuggets of wisdom. I'm sure there will be more along the way. In the meantime here's a picture of Breckin in the bath because Joe and I make cute babies.